Hunter is looking for a Vice President of Earned Media Strategy + Outreach to join the HUNTER Media team. This position will help lead HUNTER's internal Media Department that is set up within the agency to provide counsel and collaborative media-focused support to all internal agency account teams and clients. They will support internal account teams in the planning and execution of earned media strategies across the agency's Fortune 500 clients in the following verticals: food + beverage, wine + spirits, home + lifestyle, health + beauty, retail + ecommerce, travel and tech.
The right candidate will be willing to take on high level strategy while also overseeing and helping to execute the day-to-day responsibilities of the department. The candidate should have a strong background in developing media strategies and a proven track record of securing broadcast, print and online placements, including lifestyle & consumer, business and thought leadership, entertainment and sports. They should be a natural storyteller with superb written and oral communication skills and a self-starter. The candidate should also be resourceful problem solver who keeps projects and work streams on track. Additionally, they need to desire to work in a very collaborative, team-oriented environment.
· B.A. in Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or the like
· Seven (7) to ten (10) years of public relations agency experience with a strong focus on earned media outreach and media strategy development
· Three (3) or more years in a supervisory role
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
· Experience and understanding of media databases and monitoring tools including Meltwater, Muckrack and Critical Mention
Job Responsibilities + Requirements include:
Management + Leadership
- Manage/supervise and train/mentor a team of four (4) (and growing) staff members
- Help team members understand and execute the role of earned media relations in a program's marketing mix
- Manage the performance review process, identifying growth opportunities for all team members and constructively provide feedback on areas for improvement
- Effectively delegate and assign work among team members, demonstrate camaraderie and team collaboration
- Anticipate issues and be solutions oriented - take action early to remedy any issues
- Initiate a culture of responding to requests for information from teams in a timely and thorough manner
- Create efficient processes and ways of working to bring proficiency and thoroughness to all work
- Participate and lead the strategy development and story narrative for proactive and reactive media outreach for HUNTER's array of clients in order to drive results and media placements
- Play an integral role in the process of securing media for clients from strategy development to executing (inclusive of planning, implementing, pitching, recapping, etc.)
- Have a strong understanding of the media landscape, media/marketing trends and be adept in the development of comprehensive media strategies
- Provide strategic counsel to colleagues, teammates and clients
- Guide the team in developing a strong network with key editors, producers and journalists across consumer, lifestyle, business, trade media
- Demonstrate superb interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate approvals diplomatically and maintain composure and quality under deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Display high attention to detail for all work and the ability to project manage multiple executions in a fast-paced, client service-focused environment.
- Edit, quality check and provide feedback on all media materials including media lists, media pitches, key messages, segment outlines, media audits, research, briefing books, etc.
- Ability to connect the dots of media insights, audiences' insight, comms/marketing strategies into editorial content that resonates with media
· Travel to client and event locations; join teams in meeting with their clients at their office locations/headquarters when asked
Agency + Culture
· Show integrity and good judgment when working with colleagues and clients
- Participate in agency brainstorm sessions for client programs and new business
- Serve as a senior leader on agency committees, as designated/asked; participate in and drive agency initiatives, visibility efforts and staff development
- Demonstrate an interest in the long-range health of the agency
- Represent the agency in professional associations; develop new professional contacts through participation in outside organizations