JOB DESCRIPTION About CRS
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS' relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
As part of the CRS Agency Strategy ('Vision 2030') CRS is seeking to catalyze humanitarian and development outcomes at scale through transformational change. To achieve this ambition, CRS has established six Strategic Change Platforms (SCPs), including the Homes and Communities (H&C) SCP 2. Under H&C, CRS is undertaking a transformational shift from a focus on Shelter and Settlements -the building of roofs and walls-to Homes and Communities, the foundation around which life is centered. We are committed to efforts that promote lasting recovery. Our two-pronged approach is designed to have a transformational impact where needed most, this includes: 1) expanding the reach of CRS programming to support more people in need by assisting 1.5 million people through direct programming interventions related to shelter, WASH, livelihoods and building local response capacity; and 2) bringing about systems-level change by influencing key stakeholders-governments, international and local peer agencies and market actors-to adopt safe and dignified approaches. In this way, we will extend our impact beyond our direct programming, and assist 8.5 million people to achieve safe and dignified homes and communities.
Market systems development offers a unique entry point for CRS to achieve these ambitions - if a housing market system is inclusive and efficient then it can deliver safe and dignified housing at scale for the most vulnerable and disaster-prone families. Over the last 2 years, the H&C SCP has developed an approach for leveraging housing market systems for scaled outcomes, and has begun piloting this in a number of country programs.
NOTE: This is a global telecommuter position; CRS will give preference to candidates who are based in countries where we have existing offices. CRS does not sponsor visas for telecommuting employees.Job Summary:
As part of the H&C SCP Global Core team, you will provide technical advice, guidance, and support to a wide range of program design and implementation issues with a focus on larger projects in the area of Housing Market Systems Development in line with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) program quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices to regional and Country Program (CP) teams to advance the delivery of high-quality programming to the poor and vulnerable. Your technical knowledge, advice and guidance will contribute to determining how effective, adaptive and innovative CRS' market systems programming is across the globe.
You will be responsible for setting the strategic direction of H&C's market systems development work; ensuring harmonization and consistency; developing technical guidance and tools; documenting learning; building capacity of country and regional teams and providing technical accompaniment to pilot country programs as they conduct market systems analysis, strategy design, intervention start-up, negotiation and management of partnerships, and measure/capture results and learning.
QUALIFICATIONS Basic Qualifications
- Master's Degree in Business, Economic Development or other relevant field required.
- Minimum of five years relevant international working experience in an advisory or management role with progressive responsibilities, with minimum of three years working for programming interventions in market systems development such as 'making markets work for the poor' or related field
- Previous experience providing technical assistance and developing successful proposals for external donor funding is required.
- Demonstrated application of technical principles and concepts in pro-poor market systems development. General knowledge of other related disciplines to ensure proper cross-sectoral approach.
- Experience in business development, project design and proposal development in market systems development, including technical writing.
- Experience in mentoring, coaching, facilitation and training applying adult learning principles and practices.
- Experience with program monitoring and evaluation, including applying data collection tools and methodologies, data analysis, and data presentation.
- Excellent analytical skills and experience conducting economic or market systems analysis, ideally in the housing sector.
- Proven ability to negotiate, design and assess strategic, sustainable and systemic activities
- Experience in negotiating and building partnerships with
- Experience and skills in networking and building relations with donors, peer organizations, private sector actors, and civil society partners. Understanding of partnership principles.
- Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems, knowledge-sharing networks.
- English required, French or Spanish preferred. Travel
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 50%. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
- Excellent relationship management skills with ability to influence and get buy-in from people not under direct supervision and to work with individuals in diverse geographical and cultural settings.
- Strong strategic, analytical, problem-solving and systems thinking skills with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong presentation, facilitation, training, mentoring, and coaching skills
- Proactive, resourceful and results-oriented
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Consultants Key Working Relationships: Internal:
Technical line management from Cash and Markets TA II, Homes and Communities Core Team Members, Humanitarian Markets Technical Advisors, Private Sector Engagement Technical Advisors, Country Program management and program staff External:
Peer organizations, donors, partner organizations, private and public sector partners, research institutes
Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS' processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
To ensure the safety of our staff, our partners, and the people we serve, CRS requires that staff be vaccinated against Covid-19. CRS complies with all federal and state laws to allow for accommodations, as needed with supporting documentation. However, accommodations may limit the roles that candidates are eligible for based on role requirements (e.g., travel, meetings with staff, partner, donors).
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position. CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people - especially children and vulnerable adults - to live free from abuse and harmCRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer