Description Position at UMass Memorial Medical Center Everyone Is a Caregiver.
At UMass Memorial Health Care, Everyone is a Caregiver regardless of title. Exceptional patient care, academic excellence and leading-edge research make UMass Memorial the premier health care system of Central and Western Massachusetts, and a place where we can help you build the career you deserve. We are more than 14,000 employees, working together as one health care system. And everyone, in their own unique way, plays an important part, everyday.Requisition #:
Patient Care Associate II (Inpatient) Department:
6 ICU Grade:
NSG4 Posting Date:
24 Hours, Every other weekend / Every other holiday Shift Length:
8 Hours Location:
UMass Memorial Medical Center, University Campus $$$3,000 Sign On Bonus! A talent acquisition caregiver will provide more details into the sign on bonus during the interview process. Position Summary:
Under the direction of the Registered Nurse (RN) and in keeping with unit specific standards, provides patient care to meet the personal needs and comfort of patients; and assists members of the health care team.
As an integral member of the patient care team, serves both internal and external customers including patients, nurses, physicians and other colleagues who support the delivery of care and services. Major Responsibilities:
- Provides clear, timely communication to the RN regarding observations and changes seen in patient/s. Examples, but not limited to changes in skin condition, vital signs, and/or mental status.
- Participates in the development and maintenance of a safe environment. Works to utilize interventions to de-escalate patients and if unsuccessful participates in restraints in accordance with training and education as directed.
- Assists patient with daily living activities such as personal hygiene, ambulating, meals and nourishment.
- Assists in moving, lifting, positioning and transporting patients by utilizing proper safety techniques and body mechanics in all work-related activities.
- Maintains patient safety by performing patient safety checks, utilizing fall prevention alternative devices/strategies as directed, and following the Restraint Policy standards when caring for a restrained patient.
- Minimum of a high school education or GED.
- Current CNA or EMT license or Certified Medical Assistant is preferred, and one of the following qualifications is REQUIRED:
- Prior clinical experience or acute care training, or
- Nursing student who has completed at least one clinical rotation, or
- One year of experience as a PCA I - Inpatient and has completed all unit based competency requirements.
- Current Basic Life Support or Heart Saver certification.
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English in a clear and concise manner.
- Must utilize proper safety techniques and body mechanics in all work-related activities.
- Strong interpersonal skills to gather information from individuals, build relationships that support collaborative work within the department and across the organization and provide exceptional service to patients.
- Proven interpersonal skills to provide respectful, culturally and age appropriate communication with patients, staff, family, visitors and others.
- Must have proven problem-solving abilities for routine situations and requests assistance from identified resources when more direction is needed.
- Must be able to remain calm when under stress or in emergency situations.
- Demonstrates sensitivity and responsiveness to patients' needs by acting as a source of information and approaches all interactions with the intention of building positive rapport and relationships.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Standards of Respect:
Acknowledge | Listen | Communicate | Be Responsive | Be a Team Player | Be Kind
We're striving to make respect a part of everything we do at UMass Memorial - for our patients and for each other. We're expecting that our new caregivers practice our six Standards of Respect: Acknowledge, Listen, Communicate, Be Responsive, Be a Team Player, and Be Kind, to help us make respect a part of how we take care of business everyday.
As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, UMMH recognizes the power of a diverse community and encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity and expression, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at . We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.