Information About this Position Company and Job Overview
Barnes-Jewish Hospital is the St. Louis region's top adult hospital. Formed from the merger of the former Barnes and Jewish Hospitals to become Missouri's largest hospital, it continues the traditions of its predecessors along with its partner, Washington University School of Medicine, in providing cutting-edge treatments, educating future medical professionals and working to make our community as healthy as it can be.
For over two decades Barnes-Jewish Hospital has been ranked on the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals Honor Roll. In 2021, Barnes-Jewish ranked 17th overall with 11 specialties being ranked. The hospital was also the first hospital in Missouri to be designated as a Magnet® hospital in 2003 by the American Nurses Credentialing Center for excellence in nursing and has been redesignated consistently since.
Barnes-Jewish Hospital is a teaching hospital staffed by more than 1,500 Washington University Physicians, the clinical practice for the Washington University School of medicine. The academic medicine partnership has developed many treatments and procedures that are now common across the globe.
Performs an expanded perioperative role as a first assistant to surgeons during surgical procedures in the operating room. RNFA works alongside the surgeon to provide direct patient care. Works as a professional colleague with the perioperative team and collaborates with the patient-designated support person, and other health care providers when making decisions to plan care.
- Delivers intraoperative patient care as the first assistant to the surgeon(s) as a collaborative team member. Pre-operatively performs a focused nursing assessment in reference to planned procedure. Analyzes the assessment data to determine nursing diagnosis. Identifies and communicates desired patient outcomes throughout the perioperative continuum.
- Functions as a member of the surgical team and contribute to the overall efficiency of the peri-operative department. Considers factors related to safety, effectiveness, efficiency, the environments, and the cost in planning, delivering, and evaluating patient care.
- Monitors patients response and modifies plan of care accordingly. Administers Medications according to standard nursing practice. Develops and manages an individual plan of care that directs the intervention(s) of the RNFA. Implements, manages, and coordinates the perioperative plan of care related to RNFA interventions. Evaluates patient progress towards attaining outcomes. Systematically evaluates quality of nursing practice.
- Participates in professional development and life long learning. Seeks out and participates in learning opportunities. Evaluates their practice in context with current professional practice standards, rules and regulations. Contributes to the professional growth of peers, colleagues and others.
- Integrates knowledge, skills, and experiences to meet the needs of patients and families throughout the continuum to include patient and family education.Incorporates research findings into practice. Practices in an ethical manner using available resources to formulate ethical decisions. Advocates for individuals and groups related to perioperative health safety. Provides leadership in the profession and professional practice setting.
- Performs Other Responsibilities as Assigned
- 2-5 years
- Nursing Diploma/Associate's Degree
- RN Licenses
- Bachelor's Degree in nursing
- CERTIFIED RN FIRST ASSIST
Note: not all benefits apply to all openings
- Comprehensive medical, dental, life insurance, and disability plan options
- Pension Plan*/403(b) Plan
- 401(k) plan
- Tuition Assistance
- Health Care and Dependent Care Reimbursement Accounts
- On-Site Fitness Center (depending on location)
- Paid Time Off Program for vacation, holiday and sick time
*Pension does not apply to Memorial Hospital, Memorial Hospital East, Alton Memorial or Parkland Health Center
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Equal Opportunity Employer