Apply for this job now
Laboratory Assistant I
- San Francisco, California
- Job Type
- 1 Oct 2021
Apply for this job now
The Atherosclerosis Research Laboratory at NCIRE is looking for a motivated individual with a recent bachelor's degree in molecular and cellular biology to serve as an entry-level research assistant with studies of cardiovascular disease. Our program focuses on exploring the biology of Atherosclerosis and Heart Failure using mouse models of dyslipidemia and diabetes. We recently reported an interplay between inflammation and recovery from cardiac failure, as well as microRNA-controlled immunity in atherosclerosis suppression that can be found in PubMed (PMID: PMID: ). Among our ongoing projects include a focus to explore macrophage-derived exosomes as vehicles of intercellular communication among cells of the immune system and vascular wall (PMID: and ). The position will involve assisting with a broad range of in vitro and in vivo experiments to investigate molecular and cellular aspects of inflammation, hematopoiesis and vascular tissue remodeling in mouse models of atherosclerosis, diabetes & heart failure. Our research program is highly collegial and opportunities will be available to co-author manuscripts and shadow surgeons in the operating theater. Therefore, the position is ideal for individuals planning to apply for postgraduate education in health sciences.
* Assist Pl and senior staff with routine laboratory upkeep.
* Assist senior staff with transgenic mouse breeding and PCR genotyping.
* Assist senior staff with routine gel electrophoresis preparation and Western blot of proteins
* Assist senior staff with the harvest of mouse tissues and plasma along with the isolation of hematopoietic cells and lipoproteins using centrifugation and flow cytometry
* BS in molecular and cellular biology and biochemistry
* Experience with methods of RNNDNA and protein isolation and study using biochemical methods
* Ability to work collaboratively in a team setting and assist with the training of junior staff as required
* Strong oral/written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
* Accuracy and attention to detail
* Computer literacy with emphasis on Windows Excel, Abobe Photoshop for data analysis and its graphical output.
- Job Reference: 386582168-2
- Date Posted: 1 October 2021
- Recruiter: Veterans Health Research Institute
- Location: San Francisco, California
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Science & Technology
- Job Type: Permanent