The Facilities Services Department at Whitworth University is seeking an HVACR Specialist to join our team of dedicated maintenance professionals. In this role you will perform a variety of skilled services in maintenance and engineering related to the heating, ventilation, commercial refrigeration, and air conditioning systems on campus, including the central steam heating plant. You will join a team of eight trades professionals who serve the Whitworth community today and sustain our campus for tomorrow. To learn more about the Facilities Services Department visit their webpage here . CORE RESPONSIBILITIES Boilers and Steam 45%
HVACR Operations 45%
- Operate, service, maintain, repair, and recondition (as required) low-pressure boilers, including electric and natural gas-fired boilers.
- Coordinate and perform annual testing and inspection of boilers and pressure vessels.
- Maintain documentation to meet permitting compliance requirements for boilers and pressure vessels across campus.
- Maintain campus steam and condensate loop.
- Actively manage boiler chemical use.
- Perform a variety of skilled/journeyman-level duties in the heating, ventilation, commercial refrigeration, and air conditioning systems, including the central steam heating plant, individual boiler or building heating and air conditioning systems, and campus underground steam distribution system
- Operate, service, maintain, repair, and recondition commercial and residential electric and natural gas fired appliances, refrigeration plants and appliances, and air conditioning systems
- Maintain/service, program, and repair all building HVACR electronic and pneumatic systems, controls, and computer-based energy management programs
- Maintain a comprehensive, on-going, preventive maintenance program, including maintenance, operating, and other appropriate records and logs
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Assists in HVACR design and modifications as part of facilities remodeling and new construction as required
- Perform emergency call-out services as required
- Complete parts and materials requisitions for HVACR related systems
- Supervise and train student workers when assigned
- Perform other duties as assisgned, including assisting other trades
- Journey-level experience in commercial and residential heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems or completion of journey level certification.
- Refrigeration - Class II or Universal CFC license
- O6A electrical license preferred
- Gas I license
- Mechanic II license preferred
- Basic knowledge and experience in operation of low pressure boilers
- Demonstrated growth in cultural competence, awareness of societal and structural inequities and proven experience in effectively establishing relationships and positive communications with students and other constituents across multiple dimensions of diversity including, but not limited to, race, gender, varying abilities, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, class or religious perspectives.
- A personal commitment to the Christian faith and to the integration of faith and learning.
- A commitment to the educational mission of Whitworth University as a comprehensive Christian liberal arts university affiliated with the Presbyterian church.
- Valid driver's license.
- Demonstrated ability and knowledge in the HVACR trade including: general practices, methods, tools, materials, and related safety procedures
- Willingness and ability to learn and be trained in new techniques relating to heating and cooling systems
- Interpret and work from blueprints, drawings, and sketches
- Ability to work within regulations set forth by state and federal safety codes
- Respond to evening and weekend calls for emergency services and control work
- Demonstrated maturity in dealing with students, staff and general public
- Demonstrated ability to develop and work in a collaborative work environment and willingness to work outside area of specialization to assist with emergent needs of the department
- Move heavy objects (50 pounds or more) long distances (more than 20 feet)
- Reach high work areas with ladders and/or scaffolding and work at heights greater than ten feet
- Dexterity, agility and flexibility to perform the requirements of the position
- Lift, carry, push or pull a variety of tools, equipment and materials
- Climb, balance, stoop, kneel and crouch to gain access to pipes, wiring and equipment
- Handle a variety of hand and power tools
- Near-visual acuity needed to read equipment diagrams and inspect parts
- Depth perception, field of vision, and color vision needed in fitting and installing parts
- Physical ability and conditioning to perform all duties of the position including limited work in cramped and uncomfortable positions, on ladders, scaffolding, man-lifts, ceiling crawl space, fan towers, underground utility tunnels, sewage-lift stations and roofs
- Works outside, exposed to wet and cold/hot conditions, and exposed to noise and vibration from operating machinery
A background check and sexual misconduct check will be required of the successful candidate. A resume, cover letter, faith statement, and names, email addresses, and phone numbers of at least three (3) professional references will also be required.