Apply for this job now
- North Kingstown, Rhode Island
- Job Type
- 1 Oct 2021
Apply for this job now
The Compensation Manager leads the compensation function and is responsible for managing the strategic design, development and implementation of forward-thinking compensation programs for Ocean State Job Lot (the "Company" or "OSJL") in line with our values. This role manages compensation plans and develops and implements new and revised compensation programs, policies and procedures to be responsive to OSJL's compensation philosophy, goals and competitive practices.
This role works collaboratively with leadership and functional areas, the OE&L and Talent Acquisition teams, stakeholders, external vendors and partners to establish, direct and achieve strategic compensation objectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Lead and manage all associates of the compensation department, including performance management and hiring of the associates within the function
* Build effective compensation policies, guidelines and procedures that are cost effective and consistent with compensation trends and objectives. Establish job titles that are consistent with OSJL Culture and are also often tied to these job bands
* Design creative solutions to specific compensation-related programs and incentive plans.
* Advise and implement a full range Executive Compensation programs designed to reward and retain talent
* Provide advice to leaders on pay decisions, policy and guideline interpretation and job evaluation, including the design of creative solutions to specific compensation-related programs
* Monitor the effectiveness of existing compensation practices and recommend changes that are cost-effective and consistent with compensation trends and Company objectives
* Manage the development of salary bands/ranges and develop recommendations for annual salary structure, pay and/or performance based pay
* Promote and manage the "Pay for Performance" philosophy, supporting leaders' understanding of salary ranges and moving associates towards or past the midpoint only as tenure and performance is demonstrated
* Assess all job descriptions for OSJL positions and assign each description to a job band based on specific criteria
* Supervise the participation in, conduct and/or purchase salary surveys to ensure compensation objectives are achieved
* Design, develop and implement a comprehensive communications plan to promote and apprise leaders and associates of OSJL's compensation philosophy and its applications, compensation programs and competitive practices
* Develop techniques for compiling, preparing and presenting compensation data in an easy and digestible framework
* Provide advice to corporate staff on pay decisions, policy interpretations, and job evaluations. Advise on marketplace trends, relevant laws and other environmental factors impacting plan performance and program competitiveness
* Monitor internal compensation equity and analytics to ensure internal equity of associates, both within the same job title and across the organization, taking special note of differences in race, gender, age and other protected classes. Utilize regression analysis to ensure there are non-discriminatory grounds for variances
* Ensure compliance with federal, state and local compensation laws and regulations. Ensure Company compliance with provisions of Employee Retirement Income Security Act
* Plan, prepare and monitor all budgets and spend tracking for related activities
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent in business, human resources or related field and six years of progressively responsible experience in associate compensation required
* At least three years of experience leading teams required
* Five or more years of experience building compensation strategy including bonus incentive plans for executives required
* Knowledge of laws and regulations as they apply to base compensation and incentive compensation programs, company policies and operations required
* SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) and certified compensation professional credentials preferred
* Effective Communicator: You possess strong communication skills and have the ability to build and maintain a culture of trust and respect.
* Team Leader: You are capable of embracing the ideas of others (even if they conflict with your own) for the sake of the Company and client. You commit time, focus, and energy to develop future OSJL leaders by motivating them around a common purpose and vision.
* Time Management: You are able to handle multiple projects at once, and can organize multiple projects around given deadlines.
* Self-motivated: You can work with a minimum amount of supervision and be capable of strategically prioritizing multiple tasks in a proactive manner. You understand the tools and processes needed to meet larger strategic initiatives.
* Passionate: You must be passionate about online collaboration and ensuring our clients are successful; we love seeing hunger and ambition.
* Organized: You lead by example in serving all of our stakeholders: customers, owners, communities, and fellow associates.
* Strategically Oriented: You advocate for your team on both short-term and long-term projects by moving decisions forward and eliminating barriers.
* Leadership: You are a leader and exhibit that in your everyday work. You pride yourself on developing future leaders; you have direct experience managing others and have been responsible for supporting their performance.
* Analytical: You use logical reasoning and data to build conclusions, recommendations, and reporting.
* Conflict Resolution: You deal with conflict positively and resolve issues to maintain relationships and company requirements
* Work primarily in a climate controlled environment with minimal safety/health hazard
potential. Sedentary, and frequent near vision use for reading and computer use.
* Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform essential functions.
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by supervisors or managers to perform other job duties and tasks, some of which may be essential to the position. Leadership has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract, either express or implied. You are an at-will employee, meaning either you or the Company may terminate your employment at any time, with or without notice.
- Job Reference: 386584264-2
- Date Posted: 1 October 2021
- Recruiter: OCEAN STATE JOB LOT
- Location: North Kingstown, Rhode Island
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: HR / Recruitment
- Job Type: Permanent